This dish is for my friend Vittorio who introduced me to the original Arcinboldo, when I was researching my Piemonte book.
Vittorio would pick anything in his vegetable garden and slow cook it in a heavy cast iron pan. He would leave the vegetable whole.
I went into my ‘orto’ today and this is what i found
ruby red silverbeet
little hot peperoni
my basket with all the vegetables, herbs, pumpkin, zucchini and black chilli
• chop one large Spanish onion, 3 cloves of garlic, celery sticks and sage
• add them to a cast iron pan with some olive oil and butter
• roughly cut the rest of the vegetables and add them as well
• now chop the herbs and add some bay leaves, salt and pepper
• put the lid on and let it cook on low heat for about 25 minutes
• shaking the pan from time to time
• taste for seasoning
• I served it with some forbidden black rice
• I love this rice it remains textured and has a nutty flavour
• you boil it for about 25 minutes