I find this such a delicious recipe and I love the look of these beautiful little black pearls!
I used the below vegetables, but please try your own version.
Because the lentils are so little, cut the vegetables quite small.
• cavolo nero, the stems cut out and thinly sliced
• the heart of a celery, diced
• 2 carrots, grated
• a piece of pumpkin, diced
• a piece of celeriac, diced
• 1 Spanish onion, diced
• 2-3 garlic, diced
• big bunch of Italian parsley, chopped
• 1 dried Iranian lemon ( optional) but the lemony flavour it gives is fabulous
• a bunch of fresh sage
• 1 chili, some seeds removed
• a little oil and butter
• gently cook all the above ingredients until lightly coloured
• add 1- 1 1/2 litre of fresh chicken, veal or vegetable stock
• then about 200 gr beluga lentils
• cook until lentils are just tender ( about 25 min)
• salt and pepper to taste
• serve some virgin olive oil on the side,to drizzle over the lentils