My new neighbour, Udo, is a very keen fisherman. It was a very stormy day here at Bondi, the waves were enormous but that did not deter Udo to go fishing!! I have never seen anybody fish with such passion and feel! His whole body was playing the fish. He must have landed 8 big Black Drummer fish in 45 minutes.
That evening he knocked on my door and presented me with these beautifully, boned and skinned filets. I had never tried Black Drummer Fish, so I decided to cook it the simplest way possible and let the fish speak for himself.
• I just cooked it in a little butter and oil
• I made some mixed vegetables to accompany the fish.
• quickly pan fried them
• then added a spoonful of full cream
• salt and pepper
• I cooked the vegetables a little longer and served them with the fish
• the fish had the most delicate taste! It was very flaky in consistency and not at all fishy tasting!!!
Udo told me that he has been catching Black Drummer Fish since he was 6 years old.
And this in front of our house!!! Thank you Udo for the fantastic experience!