The first artichokes are at the markets! I love them and there is so much you can do with them.
If you are lucky and find the red, spiky ones ( they have a very short growing season) clean them and slice them very thinly. Serve them raw, with olive oil, salt, pepper and very thinly sliced parmiggiano.
In my ‘orto’ I grow the glob artichoke.
• pre heat the oven 200˚
• 6 artichokes ( 2 per person)
• you remove the tough outer leaves until you get to the tender center
• cut out the very center and the ‘beard’
• to a large sauce pan add a little oil and butter, one Spanish onion, finely sliced
• 8-10 anchovy filets
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed and 1 chilli some seeds removed and chopped
• half a bunch of Italian parsley, thinly chopped
• 10 fresh sage leaves, chopped
• gently fry all the ingredients for a few minutes or until the onions are soft
• add 400 gr fresh baby spinach and let it wilt
• fill the artichokes with the spinach mixture
• sprinkle some bread crumbs over it, little salt and pepper
• place a knob of butter on top and bake in the pre heated oven for 15- 20 minute
• there should be a nice golden crust
• you can eat them hot or cold as an entrée or part of an antipasto