My friend and neighbour, Dieter, brought me this fantastic Flathead he caught in the lake on his property. How nice to have such generous neighbours!
The fish came all cleaned and filleted.
All I had to do was cook it.
I picked some of the last broad beans in my vegetable garden and cut all sorts of fresh herbs.
I remember my mother cooking this beautifully fragrant rice, an Iranian dish called:
• wash a cup of Iranian or Basmati rice 3-4 times in cold water
• pod the broad beans and boil them for 1/2 a minute
• once cool, discard the tough outer skin of the beans
• finely chop some
• oregano, basil, dill, coriander,chervil, Italian parsley
• boil the rice in some salted water
• when it is nearly cooked,
• add all the fresh herbs and the broad beans
• mix well and then strain the rice
• add a piece of unsalted butter and with a fork mix well
• the Flathead I just cooked in a little butter and oil
• I added some fried capers instead of salt.
The fish was so fresh, I did not want to overpower i with other flavors.