In my garden in Zurich, I had to cut back a lot of sage. It looked so healthy and delicious, I decided to fry some as an ‘aperitivo.’
These are my very favourite ‘stuzzicchini.’
The leaves looked so healthy and big!!
I decided to make little parcels with some of the leaves
make a batter using:
• 3 tablespoons of plane, unbleached flour
• about half a cup of sparkling mineral water
• mix all very well together, making sure there are no lumps
• the consistency should be that of cream
• cut a small piece of mozzarella and lay it on a leave
• slice an anchovies filet in three and lay one filet on top of cheese
• cover the leaf with another one
• secure the little parcels with two tooth picks
• dip them in batter and fry in hot oil
• I like to use sunflower oil
• to make sure the oil does not burn, put a little piece of bread in the oil
• dip just the plane sage leaves in the batter and deep fry as above
• sprinkle with some salt
The leaves are deliciously crunchy and crisp and the stuffed ones have that amazing combination of sweet mozzarella with the saltiness of the anchovies.
A combination made in heaven!