It is 4 years, since my father passed away at 102 years of age!
He was a most extraordinary person!
A world renown geologist, explorer and adventurer, he traveled all over the world, from Greenland to Tibet in the 1930 to South America, Persia, Afghanistan,Vietnam.. you name it , he was there!
To mark this special day, I decided to climb Gulaga Mountain in Tilba Tilba on the South Coast ( this is where our house is)
I went with Birri, Sophie, my two nephews, Enrico and Lucio, Ernesto and Claudia.
There is a very special, sacred site on the mountain, where the ‘story of creation’ of the Yuin People is represented.
• we started the walk through a beautiful forest of spotted gums
• then through the rain forest part of Gulaga. There is a huge variety of ferns
• wood mushrooms every where
• the trees looked ‘jurassic’
• until we arrived at the site of creation
• we saw these most magical boulders
How did these massive stones balance one on top of the other?
I think my father Augusto Gansser would have approved of this wonderful expedition.
It took us 5 1/2 hours.
There is a very beautiful book written by Max Dulumunmun Harrison, called ‘ My Peoples Dreaming’. He is an Aboriginal elder who writes about this area and this very sacred site. I very much recommended it.