Kasundi is an Indian relish which I absolutely love.
I use it to spice up meat, vegetables and most of all, mix it in with ‘pulses’.
You can ‘exotify’ so many dishes with Kasundi.
• 1 tablespoon ground cumin
• 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
• 1 tablespoon ground coriander seeds
• 1 tablespoon nigella seeds
• 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
• 5 cloves
• 8 garlic cloves sliced
• 6 large red chilies, seeded, roughly chopped
• 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
• 250 ml organic apple cider vinegar
• large piece ( 150gr) fresh ginger, grated
• 2 tins peeled tomatoes
• 120 gr brown sugar
• 30 gr salt
• juice and rind of 1 organic lemon
• in a medium sauce pan heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil
• add the onion, garlic and all the dry spices, cook for about 5 minutes
• now add the sugar and vinegar, cook for a few more minutes
• add the tomatoes
• the chopped chilies and grated ginger
• cook, stirring from time to time for about 1 hour on gentle heat
• in the last 5 minutes add the lemon juice and rind
• fill into jars, let them cool and store in the fridge
• this will keep a long time
• one of the dishes I made combining Kasundi with chickpeas and fresh baby spinach
It tasted fantastic !!