The season for quinces is in full swing. I love their smell and taste. They remind me of beautiful old master paintings; there is something old- fashioned about them.
The secret when poaching them is to cook them on very low heat for a long time. My friend Felix from Bei Amici Restaurant gave me this hint. Thank you Felix!
• 5 quinces
• 250 gr organic Panela sugar ( evaporated cane juice)
• 2-3 aniseeds
• a few cloves
• a cinnamon quill ( I only had the powder so used 1 teaspoon)
• juice and peel of 2 organic lemons
• 1 litre water
• peel and cut quinces into thick slices
• add them and all the above ingredients into a saucepan
• very gently boil for at least 4 hours
• the quinces should turn a beautiful dark red colour
• the syrup should be thick and dark in colour
• they are delicious served with a dollop of pure cream