Today is the first day of a new year. On this day,we have a tradition to cook lentils which will bring you happiness and prosperity!
So this is what I am doing.
• soak some lentils in water for a couple of hours
• adding 2 fresh bay leaves and a clove of garlic
• drain the lentils
• in a little butter and oil, add
• 1 Spanish onion, sliced
• 3 small carrots, diced
• 3-4 young celery stalks, sliced
• 2-3 garlic, thinly sliced
• fresh herbs like sage, rosemary and Italian parsley
• when the vegetables start to color, add
• 3 diced potatoes
• about 2 liters of fresh chicken broth
• 5-6 slices of your Christmas ham, diced
• let the lentils cook for about 20 minutes, they should still be slightly ‘ al dente’
• taste for seasoning
Traditionally, in Lugano Switzerland the lentils are served with ‘Zampone.’
This is a pigs trotter, filled with pork meat and spices.
BUON ANNO A TUTTI!!!!