The other day I tried to ‘spice up’ some butterbeans and came up with this recipe.
I find the sumac, cumin and lemon really combine well with he beans and the pan frying gives them a nice crunch.
For 4 people
• 500 gr dried butterbeans
• 1 bunch Italian parsley
• 50 gr butter
• 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 teaspoon ground cummin
• 1 tablespoon sumac
• 1 chilli
• soak the beans over night in water plus 2 teaspoons of bi- carb of soda
• the next day boil them in plenty of water until just tender
• drain the beans and let them cool
• this is a bit of a labour of love, but if you can, pop off the outer skin
• it is well worth it, if you are short of time, forget this step
• in a non stick frypan melt a little butter and olive oil
• gently fry the beans, being careful not to squash them too much
• chop the parsley and chilli
• add the parsley, salt, chilli and spices to the butterbeans
• let them cook for a few more minutes
• as a last thing, squeeze half a lemon over the beans
• taste for flavour
• you can serve some extra olive oil on the side, I actually like them quite dry!