This morning at the market, I bought this beautiful snapper.
One of the easiest ways of cooking it, is in a salt crust. It looks very theatrical and tastes amazing!
The fish size depends on how many people you are cooking for.
• 1 snapper or red emperor, cleaned but not scaled
• 1 kg of normal cooking salt
• 1 small glass of water
• a handful of fennel fronds, or other of your favorite herbs
• mix the salt and water until you get a ‘sticky ‘mass
• put the fish on some grease proof paper on a oven tray
• the herbs into the fish stomach
• cover the fish with the salt (leaving out the head)
• you can decorate by pressing a spoon into the salt, making scales
• bake in a hot oven, 200˚ for about 15 to 20 minutes ( depending on the size of the fish)
• bring the fish to the table and then crack open the crust, it will look very spectacular
• the salt crust will seal in all the juices of the fish, leaving it beautifully moist inside
• serve some lemon and oil on the side
Have a look in my cooking channel, I just made a video of how to prepare this fish.