I love this ‘one dish meal.’
It is Michele’s favourite and it reminds us of the time spent in Greece.
I like to use John Dori as the fish, but use any of your favourite white, firm fleshed fish.
• slice 3-4 Spanish onions
• 3 garlic cloves also sliced
• a hand full of fresh parsley and oregano
• one chili, sliced finely (optional)
• in a little oil and butter, gently cook the onions
• when soft and lightly colored, transfer them to a buttered oven proof dish
• peel 1 kg of very ripe tomatoes by plunging them into boiling water for one minute
• then slicing them
• alternatively you can use 500 gr pelati, their liquid squeezed out
• use 15 -20 anchovies, criss cross them over the tomatoes
• add some ground pepper
• cover the tomatoes with the fish fillets
I like to top the fish with some fresh baby spinach. This is not in the traditional recipe, but I find the taste is perfect.
• parboil 4-5 waxy potatoes
• slice them to medium thickness
• layer the potatoes over the whole dish
• add salt and pepper
• afew knobs of butter
• bake in a preheated oven, 200˚, for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden