I have been trying out the recipe for ‘puccia’ for our next dinner at Bei Amici Restaurant on Puglia.
Puccia’s are served as a ‘stuzzichino’ with drinks.
They are like a mini pizza calzone.
make the pizza dough:
• 500 gr white spelt flour
• 2 teaspoons granulated yeast
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
• 2 cups warm water approximately
• mix everything together and knead until dough becomes shiny and elastic
• if you find the dough too dry, add a little more water, if too whet a little more flour
• shape the dough into a ball, add a few drops of olive oil over it, so that it does not dry out
• let it rise in a warm place for about one hour
• punch the dough down
• knead one more time
• preheat the oven to 200˚
• roll out the dough until quite thin, ca 1/2 cm
• using a glass or cookie cutter, cut out small circles
• on each circle arrange a little piece of bocconcino
• half a filet of anchovies
• fresh sage or rosemary
• little salt and pepper
• fold the circle in half and press down well along the edge, sealing in the stuffing
• with a small fork, press down even more, making a nice pattern
• brush the puccias’s with a little olive oil
• put them in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden
• serve them while still hot
In Puglia they also like to add vegetables in these little puccia.
You can really be creative here!