Today is Samson’s birthday. I can not believe he is 8 years old! How time flies.
He asked me to make him a strawberry cream cake.
for the sponge you will need:
• 4 organic eggs, separated
• 80 gr raw caster sugar
• 150 gr lightly toasted and ground almonds
• a pinch of salt
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry
• in separate bowl beat egg yolks with sugar until light
• fold in almonds, salt ,vanilla
• now gently incorporate the egg whites
• line a baking tray with grease proof paper
• spread the cake mixture evenly on the paper
• bake in a preheated oven, 200˚ for 5 minutes or until top is lightly golden
• slide the paper onto the bench top
• place the tray upside down over the sponge
• the steam it will create will keep the sponge pliable
for the filling:
• beat 250 gr full cream with
• 1 tablespoon raw caster sugar
• chop about 5 strawberries
• spread the cream over the sponge
• now roll up the sponge gently and refrigerate
• decorate the cake to your hearts desire
Happy birthday tesoro mio!!!!!
For alternative recipe look up in my book ‘Winter in the Alps’ on page 205.
This cake is GLUTEN FREE!