We had this cake in Val Fex. It was such a treat to have a large slice of this moist, delicious, so chestutty cake, after returning to our hotel after a long days walk across the mountains.
I have tried to recreate it and I must say I am very, very close to the original recipe.
The best is, the cake is GLUTEN FREE!!
I find this the perfect after Christmas treat. Chestnuts and Christmas go hand in hand for me!
• preheat the oven 200˚
• 430 gr chestnut purée, I used the’ Faugier’ brand the unsweetened one
• 4 organic eggs, separated
• 50 gr raw caster sugar
• 200 gr unsalted butter, melted
• 50 gr ground almonds
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• pure vanilla extract
• a pinch of salt
• beat the sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy
• add the chestnut purée a spoonful at the time, beating constantly
• add alternating the melted butter and ground almonds
• vanilla, salt and baking powder
• in a separet bowl, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks
• fold them gently under the chestnut mix
• pour into a buttered spring form 23 cm
• bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes
• this cake is delicious served with pure cream