This is one of my very favourite ways to finish a meal. It is a little less than a dessert but a little more than a chocolate. The origins of the ‘Tronchetto’ is Piemonte, the north eastern region of Italy.
Hazelnuts grow in abundance there and are very rich in their oil content, making them perfect for desserts.
• 4 organic egg yolks
• 150 gr caster sugar
• 180 gr unsalted butter
• 100 gr very good cocoa powder
• 200 gr pistacchio nougat
• 100 gr macaroon biscuits
• 200 gr whole hazelnuts
• a pinch of salt
• in a pan roast the hazelnuts
• rub them in a tea towel to remove the skins
• in your food processor break up the nougat , biscuits and half the hazelnuts
• make sure you leave them in quite largish chunks
• beat the egg yolks with the sugar until fluffy and light
• add the butter and beat a little more
• fold in the cocoa and salt
• now mix in the nuts and nougat plus the rest of the hazelnuts
• put some aluminium foil on the table and cover it with a grease proof paper
• shape the mixture into a log shape and wrap it tightly with the paper
• then wrap the alu paper around the log and put in fridge for at least 3 hours
• slice the Tronchetto into thin slices
This is such a irresistible sweet!!!!!