I have just read a delightful book ‘Umbrian Supper Club’ by Marlena de Blasi.
It is s story of a small group of women from Umbria who get together once a week .
They meet in an old stone house near Orvieto to cook, eat and drink and recount memories.
The mane character, Miranda makes this amazing concoction called ‘ Violenza’, violence.
I had to try it and I think it is great!
• 1 1/2 litre virgin olive oil
• 3-4 fresh rosemary and sage branches
• 1 dried fennel flower
• 10 chilies, slice them in the middle
• 1 whole clove of garlic, the segments lightly crushed
• I have put all the above ingredients in a jar
• covered them with the oil
• every day twice, shake the jar
• it will be ready within one or two weeks, but the longer you leave it, the more ‘violent’ it will get, meaning hot and fragrant.
I tried it with meat, as a marinade, a little splash when cooking vegetables or a few drops in sauces. It is delicious.